Winter winds and dropping temperature reduce our skin’s moisture levels and depletes its natural defenses. The changes can make your skin itchy, flaky, dry, irritated and red. The condition worsens as we enjoy all the winter comforts like heaters, blowers, being in the sun, bathing with hot water.
There are certain tips which you can follow to keep your skin super happy during winter which are as follows:
1. STAY HYDRATED: As cold winds take away your moisture, you always need to drink more water to keep your skin healthy.
2. CHOOSE THE CORRECT CLEANSER AND MOISTURIZER: Choose gentle fragrance free cleansers and moisturizers. Avoid masks, astringents, products that contain alcohol as they make your skin dry during the winter.
3. WEAR SUNSCREEN: The warm sun feels pleasant; however UV rays can still damage your skin. Choose the correct sunscreen which has zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
4. DON’T FORGET THE HANDS: As the skin of your hands has fewer oil glands compared to other body parts, moisturize your hands every day.
5. CARE FOR YOUR FEET: Choose glycerin or petroleum jelly based moisturizers for feet.
6. AVOID HOT WATER SHOWERS: It is very tempting to go for hot and long showers when the temperature is dipping, but if you love your skin avoid this practice. Instead use lukewarm water to shower and wash your face. Moisturize your skin just after showering to lock the existing moisture of your skin.
7. EXCERCISE REGULARLY: Yes! I know it’s hard to leave the warmth and coziness of the blanket behind and get moving on chilly mornings. But do so, if you love your skin. Exercise will pump up your heart rate thereby pumping more blood to your organs and skin.
8. GRAB A SOOTHING FACE MIST: They aren’t just something you fancily spritz on while you’re poolside, apparently they can be super useful in winter months too. You can either pick up one or even make your own with coconut water and green tea in a spray bottle.