Raising a family isn’t always easy. Parents are busy, and so are the children. Today, many kids suffer from obesity and its complications, allergy and asthma and mental health issues to name a few, all because of choosing an unhealthy lifestyle. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), 60 per cent of the related factors to individual health and quality of life are correlated to lifestyle. Unhealthy lifestyle choice in parents largely influences their children to choose the wrong choice of food, activities and behaviour.
Simple ways to adopt a healthy lifestyle in children:
1) Drinking healthy: Choose water, fresh fruit juice and reduced fat milk over the sweetened beverages, carbonated drinks and energy drinks.
2) Eating healthy: Don’t skip meals, especially breakfast. Eat meals as a family in a fixed place and time. No television during meals. Don’t use food as rewards. Avoid fatty meats, sugary food and fried foods. Fruits and vegetables should be a regular part of the diet.
3) Physical activity: At least 60 minutes of moderate physical activity per day. Activities that strengthen the bones and muscles like running, swimming, sports or cycling should be chosen.
4) Switch off electronic gadgets:No more than 2 hours of screen time (including TV, laptops, mobile and tablets) per day.
5) Good sleep: Adequate sleep duration for age on a regular basis should be maintained. All screen to be turned off 30 minutes before bedtime and TV, computers and other screens should not be allowed in children’s bedrooms.
Parents should be role models with regards to food choices and choosing physical activity over sedentary lifestyle, which encourages the child in the long run to choose a healthy lifestyle as a part of life.